As we usher in the new year, nothing feels better than to warm our hearts with some savoury tea leaf eggs (茶叶蛋).
A popular traditional street delight in Asia including Singapore, tea leaf eggs are eggs steeped in tea, herbs and spices. A no-frills snack well-loved by the Chinese for centuries, these beautifully marbled eggs are infused with an aromatic fragrance that perfectly melds the subtle flavours of soy and tea.
Be prepared to awaken your taste buds with team teapasar’s unique twist to the traditional tea leaf egg – instead of using run-of-the-mill green and black tea leaves, our tea leaf eggs are specially crafted with Haflong Tea’s Kakao Kreme blend, which interestingly combines the flavours of organic Assam black tea with dark chocolate bits!
Suitable as an easy breakfast or a convenient, healthy snack for busy people on the go, this first-of-its-kind yet simple recipe might create your new favourite bite.
Moreover, with the Chinese New Year festivities coming up in slightly over a month, there really is no better time to ring in wealth, prosperity and wholeness for the new year by trying your hands at making this flavourful ‘golden nugget’.
Kakao Kreme Ajitsuke Tea Egg
(makes 6 eggs)
- 2 Haflong Tea Kakao Kreme teabags
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp mixed spice powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups of water
- Place all the ingredients except for eggs in a small pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Boil a pot of water (enough to cover the eggs). Gently place all eggs in and boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the eggs are boiling, prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Transfer eggs to an ice bath immediately after boiling for 5 minutes. Cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Once eggs are cooled, gently tap them using the back of a spoon to crack the shell.
- Submerge cracked eggs into tea marinade and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Serve the cracked eggs cold from the fridge or at room temperature.
The tea marinade can be reused by boiling and cooling before using again.
To decrease marinating time, carefully peel shells off boiled eggs and marinate for at least 12 hours.
Eggs can be marinated for up to 4-5 days for a creamier and more flavourful taste.